According to Harrisburg insiders, the governor and high level legislative leaders confirmed that they are working on an education reform package, including vouchers and an EITC increase, which they believe can get to the governor’s desk before Christmas. One reporter confirmed this in his interviews with the governor and a spokesperson for House leadership yesterday.
We must keep the pressure on with grassroots support. Here are some things you can do:
- The legislators will be home on Thursday and Friday this week. It’s not too late to visit them in their district offices (use the PA Catholic Advocacy Network to look up the district office address). Face-to-face communications are the most effective. Not sure what to say? Here is a sample script that you can use to make your point. In short, say, “As your constituent, I am asking you to support an increase in the EITC program and the creation of a school choice Opportunity Scholarship program.”
- If you cannot meet with your legislator directly, meet with his or her staff or simply register your support for school choice with the receptionist.
- Organize visits to state legislators’ district offices with your friends, family, neighbors, or fellow members of your school or parish community.
- Pick up the phone and call. You can also use the PA Catholic Advocacy Network to look up the district office telephone number.
- Governor Corbett is on our side; we should show him our support too! Call him at 717-787-2500 and you can use the PA Catholic Advocacy Network to send email messages to both your State Representative and the governor.
- Even if you have done it before, send another email. This time include the governor and forward this alert to your friends and neighbors.
The school choice debate has been a long and exhausting effort, but we have made it this far because of your hard work. Let’s see this through to the finish line. A new law that includes opportunity scholarships and an increase to the EITC will be a welcome Christmas gift to Pennsylvania’s children!