Since 1982, the U.S. Department of Education has been celebrating the achievements of schools across the country through its National Blue Ribbon Schools Program.
Five Pennsylvania Catholic schools have been awarded the distinction for 2017. The honorees are:
- Gwynedd Mercy Academy Elementary, Spring House
- SS Simon and Jude, West Chester
- St Joseph School, Downingtown
- St Maximilian Kolbe School, West Chester
- St Teresa of Calcutta School, Schwenksville
Noted in a press release issued by the U.S. Department of Education, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program honors public and private elementary, middle and high schools where students achieve very high learning standards or are making notable improvements in closing the achievement gap.
This coveted award affirms the hard work of educators, families and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content.