On January 25, 2011, the Senate Banking and Insurance Committee voted in favor of Senate Bill 3 with a 12-2 vote. The chairman, Senator Don White (R-Indiana), is the prime sponsor of the bill.
Senate Bill 3 will allow Pennsylvania to prohibit insurance providers that participate in the insurance exchanges created by the federal health care reform law from covering elective abortion services. Passage of the bill in the Banking and Insurance Committee is a critical first step in guaranteeing that public dollars in the Commonwealth will not be spent on a program which includes elective abortion coverage.
The following members of the committee voted YES on SB 3.
- Sen. Donald C. White, Majority Chair (R- Armstrong, Butler, Clearfield, Indiana and Westmoreland)
- Sen. Kim L. Ward, Vice-Chair (R-Westmoreland)
- Sen. Michael J. Stack, Minority Chair (D-Philadelphia)
- Sen. Lisa M. Boscola (D-Lehigh, Monroe, Northampton)
- Sen. James R. Brewster (D-Allegheny, Westmoreland)
- Sen. Patrick M. Browne (R- Lehigh, Monroe, Northampton)
- Sen. Jake Corman (R- Centre, Juniata, Mifflin, Perry and Union)
- Sen. Jane M. Earll (R-Erie)
- Sen. Stewart J. Greenleaf (R-Bucks, Montgomery)
- Sen. John C. Rafferty, Jr. (R-Berks, Chester, Montgomery)
- Sen. Patricia H. Vance (R-Cumberland, York)
- Sen. Joseph B. Scarnati, III, ex-officio (R- Cameron, Clearfield, Elk, Jefferson, Mckean, Potter, Tioga, Warren)
Visit, call, fax, or write to these Senators to say thank you for voting in favor of SB 3, or send an e-mail message right now.