Senate Bill 3
The federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires states to operate and maintain “health insurance exchanges” to provide a menu of low cost, government subsidized insurance plans to help otherwise uninsured people get access to necessary health care.
The PPACA specifically permits a state to prohibit insurance providers that participate in the state exchange from covering elective abortion services. To assure that elective abortion is not included in the Pennsylvania exchange, the Commonwealth must affirmatively opt out by passing a state law.
Senate Bill 3 is a proposal that will clearly prohibit the taxpayer supported insurance plans from covering abortion.
- Bill introduced: No abortion coverage in health insurance exchange
- ACTION ALERT: Send a message to your state Senator – support SB 3
- Opt out of abortion coverage – support Senate Bill 3 FACT SHEET (.pdf)
- Read the text of Senate Bill 3
House Bill 574
House Bill 574 would hold abortion facilities to the same fire and safety standards, personnel and equipment requirements, and quality assurance procedures as other freestanding ambulatory surgical facilities.
- ACTION ALERT: Abortion Clinics Should Meet Same Health Standards as Other Surgical Facilities
- Abortion clinic regulation bill passes House Health Committee