Catholic Relief Services (CRS) works throughout the world to provide clean water and sanitation to our brothers and sisters in need. CRS is grateful for the on-going prayers and support of the Catholic community in the U.S. Right now, another special way you can support our water and sanitation work is to encourage your legislator to co-sponsor the Senator Paul Simon Water for the World Act of 2013 (H.R. 2901). This crucial piece of bipartisan legislation will help to ensure investments in safe drinking water, and sustainably improve sanitation and hygiene for the poorest of the poor without requesting additional funding.
Please share this action alert from Catholics Confront Global Poverty (a joint advocacy initiative of CRS and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops) with your friends, family, and parish community (see attached PDF for easy distribution). You can also schedule an in-district Congressional meeting with your legislators any time! You don’t have to wait for a recess period, but just in case you were wondering, the next recess periods are March 17-21 and April 14-25.
If you want to learn more about the issue of water and the U.S. Catholic Church’s work in that sector, please check out the following resources:
- Recording of the latest Catholics Confront Global Poverty webcast, “Essential for Life: Water for the World Act.”
- Details about CRS’ water and sanitation work
- General overview and country specific stories – http://www.crs.org/water-sanitation/
- More technical publications – CRS Technical Resources
- The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Justice, Peace, and Human Development website for statements and additional resources.
- Review how water is a sacred part of our Catholic identity.
On behalf of Catholic Relief Services, thank you for your prayers and support!