School choice earned an important victory today with the passage of Senate Bill 1 in the Senate Education Committee by a vote of 9-2. The committee amended the proposed legislation to reflect Governor Tom Corbett’s plan to create a pilot program for school vouchers and increase the Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program to $100 million in the first two years, $125 million in the third year with scheduled increases in all future years.
Special thanks to the members of the committee who voted in favor of SB 1:
- Jeffrey E. Piccola (R- Dauphin) – Chair
- Joseph B., Scarnati III (R- Jefferson) – Ex-Officio
- Patrick M. Browne (R- Lehigh)
- Jake Corman (R- Centre)
- Andrew E. Dinniman (D- Chester)
- Mike Folmer (R- Lebanon)
- Lloyd K. Smucker (R- Lancaster)
- Robert M. Tomlinson (R- Bucks)
- Anthony H. Williams (D- Philadelphia)
The bill will be considered on the floor of the full Senate, maybe as soon as this week. School choice supporters are encouraged to call, fax or email their state Senators. Join the Pennsylvania Catholic Advocacy Network by sending your message TODAY.